Monday, October 12, 2009

Post by anonymous....

I came across an interesting site recently...and read a very interesting article . It was about the top ten most manliest names that included the likes of Lance Armstrong ( arm-strong) , Powers Boothe ( apparently like phone booth) , Max Planck etcetra etcetra etcetra....Well I must admit these are the kind of names that on an average every girl would drool over and blindly date. But over here in India one cannot be expected to be named Max or Powers or Lance and ..oh! I forgot to mention Comm. Flex Plexico ( now that name is thoroughly enticing !!! Even more since the guy is a commander) . My apologies I did not want to bring forth my hedonistic virtues .

Anyhoo ..I ought to give a diplomatic approach to what I am about to write owing to its sensitivity. Names do play a significant role . It is an individual's identity and like it or not it does affect the establishment of a good prima facie . A good name sets a platform . Unless if the individual is a contraption of an unbearably fake attitude ....what was that- ah yes!!! a douche bag..A person may transcend to state of self damnation if that is the case.But a good name with a good character ,meticulously grown , is the elixir of victory .

On the contrary not all the big names have been all that great to hear . Hypothesis : having a good name is not mandatory . You will just have to deal the kind of massacre your name will have to confront without inhibition . But who the hell cares about that as far as your image is intact and everybody treats you with profound reverence..ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!
That sucks...Nobody likes their names being messed with . It is one thing that you can rightfully coin as 'yours' . What goes beyond worse is that when experiments continue until efficacy attained . As a victim to such a monstrosity I understand what kind of trouble a person can go through when not everybody can pronounce his/her name properly. For those who are keen to know , the first half of my name suggests what would be the diagonally opposite of my ahem..preferences .
Lets get past me . Having a South Indian origin I am proficient enough to pronounce South Indian names properly . But I also see the kind of trouble ( intentional or not) people seem to have when it comes to propelling traditional names out of their mouths. Even if it is the name of a Nobel Laureate . I am talking about none other than one of the finest musicians of the past era and a part of the historic trinity comprising the most accomplished singers of the country -M S Subhalakshmi . Few know that her name is actually spelt as 'Subbulakshmi' . But forget the wrong spelling . At least don't call her whatever you feel like . Its a shame when people cannot pronounce names of the greatest from their own country .

I ponder if it is necessary change your name for the stage . Look at A.R.Rahman . How many know that his birth name was A.S Dileep Kumar . But he is embedded in everybody's heart as Rahman . I guess he had different reasons to change his name but , I doubt he would have created the same impact had he not changed his name . Names make an immortal part of us . They define us . After all irrespective of what the name is like it is a matter of time before people learn to pronounce names properly ,and it is a matter of acceptance for my likes.
With that note , wont take too long to post the next thoughtful spark .
ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment